Monday, May 21, 2007

My Father's Philosophy

ENG 101
Prof. Dowling
Lorita Zhen Chen
Free Writing

How many intimate friends should a person has in his whole life? Yesterday, I thought about this question. It reminded me my father’s philosophy in a friendship. He said, “To make a lot of friends it good for a person to create a strongly social connection but friends need to be categorized into different group. There are bosom friends who are always there to support you and can share secrete without fearing any negative impact; there are fair-weather friends who only have fun with you; there are false friends who always take advantages of you; etc.” My dad is very proud of his friendship philosophy. The fact is his relationship philosophy is practical.

Generally, I think few of friends can be classified as sworn friends. It is even harder for an adult to make a close friend in a complex society. I have many friends from different places. Till now, I think that only two of them can be deemed as close friends. They are Wen and Yong. The interesting thing is, I met both of them in the middle school. Now, I am live in American, and they are in China. When I feel lonely and face any problem, I still call my friends in China to confide in them. Even if they cannot give me some useful advice to solve problems, I still appreciate them because they support me anytime and anywhere.

Now, I meet lots of new friends. We are studying and sharing happy moment. I still believe that a friend in need is a friend indeed because for me, I still cannot completely disclose myself to those new friends. It does not mean that new friends are not nice and kind but we still need time to strike up our friendship to be steady. Now, my father’s friendship philosophy helps me a lot to get along with my news friends. The friendship philosophy always reminds me to forgive others’ fault and understand different opinions from others. It also makes me to open my arms to meet various friends.

When one meets a friend who is always taking an advantage of one, would one end the friendship with his friend? My father’s philosophy teaches me not to judge a person no matter what kind of personality a person has. To get along with others is not easy because everybody has unique characteristics. That also means conflicts between people are inevitable. When we understand the meaning of categorizing friends into different groups, we will able to solve conflict. For example, when we have a conflict with a fair-weather friend, we just let the argument go. On the other hand, when the same case happens between us and a bosom friend, we need to try our best to communicate with him.

At the begging, I did not understand my dad’s saying. I thought friends are just friends. It would be unfaith to divided friends into different group. Gradually, I understood and adapted my dad’s friendship philosophy as I got older.

1 comment:

Chase March said...

There is a movement spreading through the World Wide Web. It is coming to us from sites such as myspace and facebook. There are hundreds of websites that bring together large groups of people who collectively form a community.

I must confess that I don’t really understand this community movement online. Facebook is one site in particular which baffles me. It is a way to find old acquaintances with ease. I joined it and had a profile up for about a week. I was immediately overrun with friend requests. Most of the people that wanted to add me as a friend were people that I had not spoken to since grade or high school. That feels like an eternity ago.

I checked out the profiles of some of my friends. One of them had 84 friends linked to him. 84 friends? Who has 84 friends? I certainly don’t. I looked at my list and noticed that my “friends” weren’t really my friends. I couldn’t even remember who a few of them were. Maybe we were friends once but I was in no rush to get reacquainted with them. Maybe I am wrong for thinking this. I don’t know.

One of my friends (I can’t remember who she is for the life of me) posted up all of our grade school class photos. She had also identified each person in the photos by name and row. My profile was now linked to these pictures because the website automatically does this. There, on the World Wide Web, were my class photographs; Grade 1-8. I also had a few pictures of me tagged on someone else’s profile and those were also linked to my profile. I found this to be an extreme violation of my privacy. I don’t think, class photos should be on the Internet. It freaked me out. I immediately deleted my profile and wish to have nothing else to do with that site.

So what exactly is a friend? I don't know. I think we do have different degrees of friends like your dad contends. I like to think of my friends being extremely limited to those who are truly always there for me.